Friday 13 January 2012

Hard Drive


The roads in Sibu can be very confusing. Esther said that it is in fact possible to travel around the town centre on foot as it is not really that big. However when you are in a car, it may feel as if the town is actually a lot bigger than it is. Most of the roads are one way streets. Therefore you may at times have the feeling that you have been at a certain place before.

I got the car a few days back and I took it for a spin around town two days after that. The roads are not very smooth but acceptable enough. It won’t break the suspension any time soon. The first place I drove to was the laundry shop near Premier Department Store. My mom did send me a washing machine but not only have I not installed it, I can hardly move it to where it’s meant to be installed! It is that heavy.

Laundry is by weight. Mine reached to nearly 5kg...

Parking in Sibu town centre is generally by parking coupons. This is somewhat similar to Port Dickson. Over here they come in little booklets of 10 coupons each costing RM4.25 per booklet which can be obtained from little booths near parking lots, petrol stations, and selected shops. Each coupon is for 30 minutes and you are meant to scratch off the time when you start parking. All this was enthusiastically explained to me by the Foochow traffic warden auntie that happened to be issuing a parking fine to the next car. She also told me that if I am going to start parking at any time between 12pm and 1.30pm, I might as well scratch off 1.30pm on my coupon as those times are considered free parking. Interestingly the traffic wardens around these parts have outfits not dissimilar to road construction workers with their straw hats and scarf covered faces.

1 comment:

  1. would love to see the traffic warden's outfit more than the parking coupons. haha.

    ReplyDelete