Monday 23 January 2012

Happy Chinese New Year


Esther said that I should plug my ears with cotton buds if I wanted to sleep on Chinese New Year. She was right. People in Sibu sure as hell know how to celebrate.

I spent more than 1 hour in town waiting for the fireworks. This was at 8 pm. There were a few bangs here and there but I couldn’t get a decent show. After a while I decided to pack up my tripod and headed home. I was on double shift the next day anyway.

Then it all happened. At around 11.30pm or so while I was about to shut my eyes the fireworks started in earnest. It’s amazing! There are fireworks all around the area. All of Sibu must’ve lit up. The only thing similar that I have experienced before was in Putrajaya during the annual fireworks festival for Merdeka Day. This is even better! It’s all around me. Everywhere!

I guess there are less restrictions to getting fireworks here in Sarawak then it is in Semenanjung.

Guy Fawkes Day doesn’t even come close. Hell, this one is even bigger than the other New Year (the normal one, you know, for not Chinese people...)

Tua Pek Kong Pagoda was proper lit up for Chinese New Year. There were lots of people burning those giant incense and praying there.


All this was happening right outside my window!
Happy Chinese New Year Everybody! (I don’t care if you’re not Chinese, neither am I, I’m wishing you a prosperous New Year as well ;D)

No comments:

Post a Comment