Monday 27 August 2012

Mother and Son


“Let’s see her photo again,”

I hand her the iPad

“Well, she’s pretty. Like that actress. Is she Malay?”

“No, Bidayuh,”

“Muslim?”

“Christian,”

“Is she going to convert?”

“I don’t know, I haven’t asked,”

“You can’t marry her if she is not a Muslim,”

I’m very well aware of that.

“If she converts just to get married, it won’t be a very good thing,”

I honestly am not sure about that.

“She’s a nurse?”

“Yes, a staff nurse,”

“Nurses work irregular hours. It’ll be difficult to look after children,”

So do doctors.

“I mean, just look at your aunt. Sometimes she comes home in the middle of the night. Sometimes doesn’t even get to see her kids,”

Yes, I got the point the first time around.

“I can help you look for someone you know. Maybe a teacher, a lecturer. Lecturers seem to have a lot of free time to bring up children,”

I don’t know any lecturer. I don’t actually know what they do, except maybe, errr... lecturing?

“She’s from Sarawak?”

“Kuching,”

“Sarawak is very far. Very difficult to travel during Hari Raya and such,”

That’s not what you said last time.

“Just find someone closer to home. It’s very difficult to travel back to Kelantan as it is. KL or Selangor would be great,”

 

Ok, I know where this is heading. Can I start crying now...

1 comment:

  1. Life is full of shit.
    But the myriad ways that it smears the bowl before being gloriously flushed out is what makes it beautiful.

    Sounds familiar?

    ReplyDelete