Thursday 7 June 2012

Missed Opportuniities


Some events happen only once (or maybe twice) in a lifetime. While others happen only once a year. When you miss chances like these there is inevitably a certain measure of regret. However, the thought as an individual I am merely another speck upon this vast universe does help to somewhat alleviate the sense of loss.

I totally missed out on the transit of venus yesterday. It’s an astronomical event that will never occur again in my lifetime and I didn’t get to see it. Not that I would be able to see them personally since I don’t have the proper equipments, without which I might damage the sensor on my beloved camera or worse, my own eyes. Still it would’ve been nice to be able to tell kids when I get older that I saw the transit of venus during my lifetime.

I also completely blew my chances of getting into the Gawai celebration. I was on call on the night before Gawai itself and two days later. Besides, I didn’t get any invitation to go ‘ngabang’. However, according to Kak Burak, I didn’t need any. The saying goes that if it is Gawai, the Ibans will invite in anyone and anything who passes by, even if it was a dog. Two of the new staff nurses from Kelantan and Terengganu did however go for ngabang during Gawai, and from their description, it seems that I have missed out on something really awesome. Apparently there were singing and dancing and free flow tuak all day and night. Sigh... I came all the way here and still I miss out on such things...

The consolation is of course there is always next year.

I went to Red Carrot for lunch today as I was post call and I always like to treat myself whenever I have a bad call (which seems to be always the case). Dr Maz told me about the place. It’s on top of the Sugar Bun Restaurant near Delta Mall. As usual I went alone. The food was nothing spectacular but ambience was rather nice (for Sibu at least). For RM 6.50 I got the rice with kari nyonya kapitan and a mango drink (not mango juice, it was clearly some form of cordial).

The place is a bit like Old Town’s where they serve mainly Malaysian food in a slightly cleaner environment.

1 comment:

  1. that should be Old Town's slogan. Imagine the advert on the radio saying:

    'Come to Old Town, where we serve Malaysian food in a cleaner environment!'

    ReplyDelete